The Regimental Standard and Church

 
Regimental standard
 

The Regimental Standard is carried on all Regimental parades by the RQMS. He is escorted by an armed guard commanded by the RSM. When not on parade the Standard is on display in RHQ and is saluted by all ranks. The first standard to be received by the Regiment was presented by HM The Queen on the 27th Oct 1960 at Buckingham Palace. This Standard was replaced on the 12th July 1985 at a parade for all four Royal Tank Regiments at the time at Sennelager, Germany.

The Standard was laid up in the Regimental Church, St Peter-upon-Cornhill in London on the 13th September 1992 at the annual Regimental Church service. It was adopted as the Regimental church in 1954 on the suggestion of the Rector at that time, the Prebendary Douglas Owen who had served as the Regimental Padre of 4 RTR from 1938 to 1941. He later became the first Regimental Padre of the Royal Tank Regiment as a whole and was succeeded by the Reverend Alan Cook MA in 1965. He remained in office until 1986 when the Archdeacon Peter Mallet took over the appointment. He handed over to The Venerable Graham Roblin in 1996.

In 2007, St Mary Aldermary was adopted as The Regimental Church the Standard was moved.  There has been a church on this site for over 900 years and its name is usually taken to mean that it is the oldest of the City churches dedicated to the Virgin Mary. In 1510, Sir Henry Keeble, a grocer and Lord Mayor, financed the building of a new church on the site. When he died in 1518, however, the tower was substantially unfinished and remained so until 1629 when two legacies enabled it to be completed. The church was said to have been among the largest and finest of the City's churches and a number of City notables were buried there. John Milton, the poet, married his third wife in the church in 1663. The parish registers date from 1558, the year Elizabeth I ascended the throne. All documents now extant are deposited in the Guildhall Library.

A Regimental Service of Remembrance and thanksgiving used to be held each year on the nearest convenient Sunday to the anniversary of the action in Flers in the Somme on 15 September 1916. However, in 1999 the date of the Service was changed to coincide with the Regimental Cenotaph Parade. The Regimental Cenotaph Parade is always held on the Sunday after the National Remembrance Sunday in November. Members of the Regiment are welcome to hold baptismal, wedding and funeral services at the Church. Approaches should be made direct to the Rector.

Regimental Church
 

The laid up Standards at the Regimental Church

 
     
 
Regimental Church
 

Back